Thursday, September 10, 2009

Twice in one week

No, I don't have new photos of the kids. I promise to work on that tonight.

I am boasting a little. Just a little because it isn't in my nature, really.

Most of this is just from building relationships and flat dumb luck, but...

So over the course of the last few weeks I have been writing about the Langdon Farms property near my house. The owners of the property want the right to develop it, the city and farmers near it don't want to see it developed.

Well, I have been getting materials from unanimous sources about an Indian tribe interested in putting the property in trust. If they did that, they could develop it without following local or state land use policy.

As it turns out, these documents have only been coming to my paper, and no where else. So I have had some pretty cool exclusive coverage. I'm not sure if the bigger papers aren't interested or what -- they have done stories on the property in the past -- but I keep running these articles with new information.

Then today, I covered a county meeting and got the story online before the big metro daily in my coverage area.

While some people would feel like they were king of the world, I have my Mother's sensibilities.
I am waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Yes I should enjoy it, but I just know I screwed up some major fact, mis-spelled some name, or totally missed a big story.

Then I have to keep reminding myself I am only part-time, so I need to chill.

Tonight is a good night. I should enjoy it.

So with that, I am off the computer, cell phone and blog. I'm going to take the night off and take pictures of my girls and not worry about what is going on in Wilsonville or who is going to kick my butt tomorrow.

I need to sigh and take a rest. Tonight seems like a good night, on a high note, then face deadline day with new vigor.

Ah, screw it. Time to make some more phone calls for a story I am working on!

Pat

No comments: